expansion however, meant that by the end of the twelfth century
the abbey could not accommodate all the monks, so a programme
of reconstruction was began. However, the community continued
to expand at such a rapid pace that it was not until the end on
the 14th century that the rebuilding work was finally completed.
The west range,
which dates from 1170 - 1220, was first occupied by the lay brothers
who did much of the manual work on the abbey's estates. Work which
included both field and construction endeavours.
As were other religious
places, the abbey was dissolved in 1539 by the orders of Henry
VII and in 1542 passed to Sir Richard Williams,